More than 50 dead in bomb blast claimed by ISIS at Shiite Kunduz mosque in Afghanistan

0
Afghans transport the dead body of a victim in an ambulance after a bomb attack at a mosque in Kunduz, Afghanistan on October 8, 2021. (AFP photo)

A bomb attack claimed by the terrorist group Daesh on a Shiite mosque in the city of Kunduz, in northeastern Afghanistan, left more than 50 dead and around 20 injured.

The bomb caused a huge explosion during Friday prayers, according to Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, who said a special unit was arriving at the scene to investigate the attack.

“This afternoon, an explosion took place in a mosque of our Shiite compatriots … as a result of which a number of our compatriots were martyred and injured,” Mujahid said on Twitter.

A doctor from Kunduz central hospital told AFP: “So far we have received 35 corpses and more than 50 wounded in our hospital.”

Another hospital run by Médecins sans frontières (MSF) received the bodies of at least 15 people, a source told AFP.

There have been several attacks in the country in recent weeks, some of which have been claimed by an armed group affiliated with the terrorist group Takfiri Daesh.

The explosion came hours after Mujahid, who is also the Taliban’s deputy minister of information and culture, said the Taliban did not see “Daesh as a threat, but we call it a puzzle. “. He told the Afghanistan TOLO news agency that Daesh lacked popular support in the country and would certainly be “suppressed” very soon.

Observers had previously warned of the possible presence of the terrorist group Daesh in Afghanistan.

The Taliban seized power in Afghanistan in mid-August, as the United States was in the midst of a chaotic withdrawal of its troops from the country.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply