Ludhiana bomb blast: Identified deceased remains prime suspect : The Tribune India

0

Nitin Jain

Tribune press service

Ludhiana, December 24

A day after a high-intensity bomb blast left one dead and six injured at the District Court complex here, the deceased has been identified as a dismissed police officer and remains the prime suspect so far .

Although the Punjab Police and central agencies including National Security Guard (NSG) and National Investigation Agency (NIA) are working on different theories to solve the case which has struck terror across the The condition, cause and nature of the “high-grade” explosion is also yet to be determined.

However, the motive of the deceased, identified as Gagandeep Singh alias Gaggi (29), who was fired from the Punjab police following his arrest in a drug case in August 2019, behind the involvement in the blast n is not yet established.

Senior police officers, monitoring the ongoing investigation, told The Tribune that although some vital clues have already been uncovered, they are being examined to reach a conclusion.

“CCTV footage showed the suspect(s) entering the court complex and their movements were also tracked,” an investigator said.

Theories on which the police investigation revolves include the “kamikaze” in which the suspect tried to carry the explosive to reach his target but it exploded in the public toilets themselves, the suspect was trying to plant the bomb when she detonated and the explosive was planted when it detonated.

“We were able to trace vital clues after obtaining technical evidence on the suspect(s) involved in the case, but no definitive conclusion has yet been reached,” Police Commissioner Gurpreet Singh Bhullar told The Tribune.

He reiterated that the preliminary investigation suggests that the single person, who was killed in the blast, was suspected of carrying or placing the explosive in the public restroom on the second floor of the court complex when it detonated.

However, a major drama was averted as the two blast floor courtrooms were not functional on Thursday due to the absence of the relevant bailiffs. Additionally, public attendance was also less than usual today due to the lawyers’ strike for the day, Bhullar said.

The preliminary investigation also alluded to the use of the passage intended for lawyers by the suspect or suspects. “The lawyers’ entry and exit doors remain unguarded so that they do not experience any inconvenience,” officials involved in the investigation said.

Share.

Comments are closed.