Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed criticizes after bomb explosion

0

“In the past 16 hours, Mr. Nasheed has undergone life-saving surgery for injuries to his head, chest, abdomen and limbs.”

Maldives Speaker of Parliament and former Speaker Mohamed Nasheed was in “critical condition,” a Male-based hospital said on Friday, a day after sustaining multiple injuries in a targeted blast that Maldives police described as “” terrorist act “.

“President Nasheed successfully underwent a final, critical and vital procedure this afternoon. In the past 16 hours, he has undergone life-saving surgery for injuries to his head, chest, abdomen and limbs. He remains in critical condition in intensive care, ”said the ADK hospital which treated him in a tweet.

Read also: India worries about attack on Maldivian leader Nasheed

Mr Nasheed’s brother Nazim Sattar tweeted earlier on Friday: “They have completed the operation and now it is the long road to recovery,” and sources close to the family said The Hindu de Male that the former president’s condition appeared stable and was being closely watched.

The former president was injured as he was about to get into his car outside his home Thursday evening, when an improvised explosive device (IED) attached to a two-wheeler parked nearby exploded.

Although no one claimed responsibility for the apparent assassination attempt, police said all available evidence indicated the incident was “an act of willful terror” targeting Mr. Nasheed. An investigation has been opened and at least “four persons of interest” have been identified so far, local media reported, following a press conference by the police chief. An Australian Federal Police team is expected to arrive in the Maldives on Saturday to help with the investigation.

Mr. Nasheed, 53, is a leading democracy advocate and the first democratically elected president of the Maldives and a global hero of climate change. Known for his bold critiques of religious extremism, Mr. Nasheed has repeatedly warned of radical Islamist forces in the country.

President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has called the National Security Council as well as an emergency cabinet meeting following Thursday night’s incident that rocked the region and beyond. In a televised address to the nation on Friday morning, President Solih strongly condemned the explosion, calling it an attack on democracy and the economy of the Maldives. Promising a quick and thorough investigation into the incident, he said the perpetrators would face “the full force of the law”.

Several governments, including India and China, as well as diplomatic missions in Male, as well as those accredited to Colombo, condemned the attack. “Deeply concerned about the attack on President @MohamedNasheed. I wish him a speedy recovery. Know that he will never be intimidated, ”Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar said in a tweet on Thursday. Addressing a press conference in Beijing on Friday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said, “We strongly condemn this attack.”


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply